Explore Useful Things to Know About Norwegian Breakaway
- Norwegian Cruise Line welcomes guests with special needs, providing information on holiday suitability before booking.
- Wheelchair-accessible staterooms offer grab rails, lowered amenities, and wide doors for easy access.
- Guests using wheelchairs must bring collapsible ones; rentals are available through Scooteround.
- Limited staterooms cater to hearing-/vision-impaired guests with alarm systems and allowance for guide dogs.
- Oxygen users must bring their own; Special Needs at Sea supplies oxygen with prior arrangement.
- Medical conditions must be disclosed at booking; passage denial is possible for safety reasons.
- Staterooms feature insulin-storage refrigerators; dietary needs are accommodated with advance notice.
- Visit www.ncl.eu for more information on special accommodations and dietary requirements.
Special Dietary Requirements
- Inform Norwegian Reservations Agent or Travel Agent at booking about food allergies or dietary needs.
- Allow 30 days' notice before sailing for special requests like Kosher or gluten-free meals.
- Kosher Meal requests within 30 days may not be guaranteed.
- Guests can't bring food needing ship staff prep or cold storage on board for safety reasons.
Alcohol and Beverage Policy
- In itineraries with ports in the USA, Canada, or China, guests must be 21+ to buy or consume alcohol (terms vary for beverage packages; check at booking).
- Premium Inclusive alcoholic beverages are included for guests aged 21+.
- For other itineraries, guests 18+ (excluding US, Canada, and China citizens) can buy alcohol.
- On US, Canada, and China port cruises (except Alaska/Hawaii), 18-20 year-olds can have wine/beer with parental consent.
- Parent completes Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form at Guest Services Desk during embarkation.
- Indoor public areas on all ships (except cigar lounges and Casino) are smoke-free.
- Cigar Lounge: Cigar smoking is allowed; there are no cigarettes, pipes, or e-cigarettes.
- Casino: Smoking is allowed in Casino on certain ships, except for cigars and pipes.
- Staterooms: No smoking in staterooms/balconies; $250 cleaning charge if violated.
- Outdoor Areas: No smoking near food venues, jogging track, kid's pool, etc.
- The Haven: Smoking is not allowed in the courtyard; it is allowed on Sun Deck (selected ships).
- Deck-Specific Smoking Areas: Designated smoking spots for various ship classes on specific decks.
- Specific Ship Exceptions: Detailed smoking areas for specific ships are mentioned.
Packing Tips / Dress Code
- Dress code: Resort casual or dress up - your choice; "Dress-Up or Not Night" offers a chance for special photos.
- Cruise Casual: Wear casual daytime outfits, including dresses, skirts, pants, jeans, and tops for women and khakis, jeans, shorts, and shirts for men. Swimwear is allowed at buffet and outdoor restaurants with a cover-up and footwear.
- Bring a sweater for AC; kids under 12 can wear nice shorts in all restaurants.
- Note: Tank tops for men, flip flops, caps, overly faded jeans, torn jeans, and low-hanging jeans are not allowed in main dining or specialty restaurants.
- All Decked-out: Smart casual for formal dining or upscale specialty restaurants; women wear slacks, jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops; men wear jeans/slacks, collared shirts, and closed-toed shoes.
- Ready for Adventure: Pack for shore excursions, including comfy walking shoes; closed-toed shoes are recommended.
- Special Events: Dress up for Norwegian's Night Out, and bring an all-white outfit for the White Hot Party.
Sail & Sustain - Our Commitment
- Our ongoing commitment to preserving oceans, environment, people, and communities.
- Embedding sustainability across our operations for an unrivaled guest experience.
- Environmental protection core value: Safety, Security, Health, and Environmental Protection policy in place.
- Goals: Prevent pollution incidents, reduce environmental impact, proper waste disposal, recycling, and reuse.
- Pursuing ISO 14001 certification objectives and targets for continuous improvement.
- Innovative environmental policies and technologies implemented across our fleet.
- Comply with international, national, state, and local regulations (MARPOL, USCG, EPA).
- Accredited with ISO 14001 standard for Environmental Management Systems, reducing impact and increasing efficiency.
Water Conservation & Management
- Onboard Production: Water used for guest/crew needs, galleys, laundry, pools, etc.
- Increasing Water Production: Advanced plants use seawater as source, reducing freshwater bunkering.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO): Produces fresh water from seawater using high-pressure pumps and filters.
- Evaporators: Generate fresh water from seawater via heat sources like Exhaust Gas Boilers.
- Bunkered Water: Potable water acquired in port for onboard use.
- Wastewater Treatment Systems:
- Equipped with Advanced Wastewater Purification systems (AWPs) for wastewater treatment.
- AWP-treated effluent meets/international regulations and some municipal standards.
- Regular third-party and onboard water quality tests ensure compliance.
- Bilge Water:
- Bilge water from machinery/engine spaces held in storage tanks.
- Discharged only after meeting international, national, and company regulations.
- Equipped with automatic stopping device and oil content meter for compliance.
- Non-compliant bilge water is recirculated until meeting standards; the remaining is landed ashore.
- Ballast Water
- Ballasting for stability involves taking on seawater in tanks.
- Some species hitchhike and transfer globally; treating ballast water removes organisms.
- Prevents non-native/invasive species introduction into local ecosystems.
- Sensitivity to Sensitive Areas: Ships visit sensitive regions, aiming to lead as stewards.
- Zero-Tolerance for Overboard Items: Strict policy against discarding items at sea.
- Environmental Hotline: Guests, crew, and shoreside staff are urged to report incidents.
- Progressive Waste Management: Waste management program reduces environmental impact.
- Waste Reduction: Emphasis on reusing recycling; clear benchmarks for waste minimization.
- Partnership with Waste Management: Developed Live Load offload operation to improve waste disposal efficiency.
- Employee Initiatives:
- Food and clothing drives involve shoreside and shipboard employees.
- Employees participate in beach/community clean-ups.
- During refurbishment, technical equipment and furniture are recycled/donated.
Fuel & Energy Efficiency
- Acknowledgment of climate change responsibility and commitment to action.
- Exhaust Gas Cleaning System (EGCS): Innovative technology reduces sulfur oxide and particulate emissions by up to 99%.
- EGCS-equipped ships include Norwegian Bliss, Encore, Epic, Escape, Gem, Jade, Jewel, Joy, Pearl, Sun, and Pride of America.
- In-port Power Generation: Ships generate power for heating, AC, lighting, and hot water like a hotel.
- Cold-Ironing: Some ports offer onshore grid connections to reduce emissions while docked.
- Cold-Ironing-equipped ships include Norwegian Bliss, Encore, Epic, Jewel, Joy, and Star.
- Energy Data Collection: Data used to identify major energy consumers and improve efficiency.
- Shipboard Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP): Ship-specific plan enhancing efficiency through various measures.
- Wasted Heat Recovery (WHR): Successful program recovering heat from engines for water production and fuel savings.
- Inclusivity in Freestyle Cruising: Norwegian Cruise Line strives to make fun accessible to all.
- Freedom of Choice: Committed to offering every guest the opportunity to enjoy cruising their way.
- Dedicated Access Team: Norwegian's experienced cruise professionals trained for special requirements.
- Access Coordinators: The access Desk team ensures a safe, accessible cruise experience.
- Contact Information:
- Toll-free number for accessible travel: 01 541 0297.
- Access Desk Coordinators discuss needs and expectations for cruising.
- Fill out the Special Accommodation Requirements Information form from the Access Desk.
- Contact via voice, fax, email, or travel agent.
- Mission: Providing safe, accessible cruise experience to the extent feasible.
- Confidence in Freestyle Cruising: Assured of enjoyable experience and exceptional service from our crew.
- Automatic Service Charge: A discretionary per guest per day charge added to shipboard account.
- Studios, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony Staterooms: US$16 per guest per day (3+ years)
- Club Balcony Suites: US$18 per guest per day (3+ years)
- Suites, The Haven Suites, Concierge staterooms: US$20 per guest per day (3+ years)
- Shared among staff enhancing cruise experience, including restaurant and stateroom staff.
- Pre-Payment Option: Service charges can be paid in advance.
- Feedback: Notify onboard Guest Services Desk if concerns arise during cruise for prompt resolution.
- Adjustment Option: Service charge adjustment is possible on board if issues are not resolved.
- Refund Policy: Pre-paid service charges aren't refundable on board; apply for a refund after returning home through Guest Relations.
- Specific Roles: Certain positions (concierge, butler, youth program, beverage) are not included in the overall service charge; separate gratuities are encouraged for their services.
- Additional Charges: 20% gratuity for spa, salon, and beverage purchases; 20% gratuity for specialty restaurants entertainment-based dining (excludes Free at Sea dining/drinks packages).
- Onboard Medical Care: Each ship is equipped with a physician and nurse for medical care.
- Customary Charges Apply: Medical services are provided with associated charges.
- Common Medications Available: The ship's doctor can prescribe commonly used medications.
- Ensuring Passenger Health: The medical team is available to address health needs while cruising.
Wi-Fi & Internet Access
- 24-Hour Internet Cafés: All ships have internet cafés for continuous connectivity.
- Wireless Internet (Wi-Fi): Available fleet-wide for wireless access.
- Rates and Services: More information about rates and services can be found on the provided link.
- Central Telephone Number: For ship contact, dial 001 732 335 3280 (from US$ 7.95/minute); need ship name and credit card.
- Mobile Phone Connectivity: Use compatible mobiles onboard; international roaming charges apply to your home account.
- Service Provider Rates: Final rates are set by provider, not NCL; check with provider directly for more details.
- Beauty Parlor & Spa Services: Enjoy Mandara Spa Salon for hair styling, manicures, pedicures, facials, and massages.
- Duty-Free Shopping: Gift shops offer fine jewelry, perfumes, clothing, cosmetics, and limited drug store items.
- Laundry & Dry-Cleaning: Convenient services are available onboard.
- Internet Café: 24-hour access to stay connected.
- Art Auctions: Participate in onboard art auctions.
- Photography Services: Professional photographs captured during the cruise.
- Infants: Minimum 6 months for sailing, 12 months for voyages with 3+ consecutive days at sea.
- Minor: Under 18 years at embarkation.
- Young Adult: Aged 18-20.
- Age Restrictions in Certain Ports: On US, Canada, and China port itineraries, under-21 guests need to be accompanied by 21+ guests in same/connecting/side by side stateroom.
- Exceptions: Applies to under-18 guests (except citizens of US, Canada, and China) on all other cruises.
- Parent/Guardian Release Form: Required for under-18s traveling with non-parent/legal guardian adults.
- Canadian Port: Under-18s with single parents need approval letter from non-traveling parents.
- Married Couples Under 21: Can share a stateroom with proof of marriage.
- Age Limits for Facilities:
- Fitness Centre: Under 16 not allowed.
- Casino, Thermal Spa: Minimum age 18.
- Some Bars/Lounges (Spice H2O) on specific ships are adult-only (18+).
- Lifeguards at family pools children under 12 need adult supervision.
- Parental Responsibility: Safety of children (up to 18) lies with parents/accompanying adults, regardless of lifeguard presence.
- Unattended Children: Children must not be left alone onboard when adults go ashore for safety reasons.